Welcome to CodeChef Marc
Seems that I've been pretty absent from the site for a while. The holidays crept up on us so quickly and I've been pretty busy on the weekend so not a lot of time to update the site. I figure that 2018 was a good introduction to the CodeChef Marc idea and my goal in 2019 is to really build out this vision and update it far more regularly. Updates from each piece:
So very excited to be here at BADCamp 2018! This was day 2 and I've completed 2 full-day trainings. The first was theme development for Drupal 8 with TWIG and the second was component-based theming. While the first training was a good refresher in what I mostly knew about D8 theming, the course today was really a new avenue for me! Developing via components is quite a different way of doing theming and I really would love to try it out soon.
I'm finally ready to start working on an actual theme here at CodeChef Marc! No more bumming off of Bartik. I'm going to do this live and document my progress along the way. That means that for a little while, the site will look broken and odd.
What I'd like to work on:
Well that was successful! I tried the keto bread recipe again the other day with some new ingredients. The big change, I believe was this - Honeyville Oat Fiber:
Here's the comparison:
It's been a while since I've posted on here! Summer vacation, my current development project is a Drupal 7 site so I haven't had the time to return to my Drupal 8 development (which actually is going quite well, and I'll update in another post) and other such things have been taking a lot of my time. Today, however, I'm going to post something that will (hopefully) be the start of a new experiment in keto bread making!
When I set out to learn Drupal 8, I wanted to do things in the recommended ways - of course! So, when I ran into the challenge of importing items into Drupal, I got a little stuck. In Drupal 7, I've used the Feeds module for MANY uses and it's worked very well. When it came time for D8, however, it seemed as though Feeds hasn't really been a big focus in favor of the core module, Migrate. So, I dove headfirst into the new migrate API and started writing code.
I must admit that in all the time I've spend developing Drupal 7 modules, I've never quite fully understood render arrays. Oh, I understand that it's basically an array of stuff with some objects mixed in for chaos and I've used preprocess functions to change some of the array adding custom functionality prior to it being rendered in the DOM. But, when it really came down to brass tax, I sort of always felt as if I were "hacking" it a little. Almost like I thought there was some Drupal API call that I was missing to get at the values, set custom values, etc.
I'm not sure when I started doing it. I'm not sure if my coworkers are annoyed by it. I certainly hope not. But, many years ago, I started whispering to myself while I was programming something new. Sometimes it was just a validation of something that I was working on, other times it was asking questions about what I was seeing or not seeing. I've researched this phenomenon a few times and thankfully I'm not crazy.
This weekend one of my favorite food bloggers, Deb at Smitten Kitchen, posted this beauty - Triple cocoanut cream pie. Could I keto-fy it? Well, challenge accepted! We've been eating a lot of cocoanut things lately and this just seemed like the perfect dessert that could be easily converted to keto. And it worked pretty well, I must admit! Here were my changes:
So this took me about an hour to diagnose. Most of the documentation for adding a Drupal 8 library (groupings of CSS and JS) to a custom (thing) is based on a custom theme or child theme. So, they say you do the following in your mytheme.info.yml:
I spent much of the past 2 days deep in training on Drupal 8 module development. I'm using the fantastic Drupalize.me and the articles on Drupal.org. Even though I went though the OO-PHP training recently so more of the Drupal 8 stuff makes more sense than before, my head was still reeling from all of the new particles whizzing past.
So, the other day I ran into an oddity with Drupal 8 and local development. I've known about how to configure the Trusted Host Settings before. However, this was the first time I decided to try using the settings.local.php file and I thought why not put the trusted host for my local dev environment in there only. And of course keep my main server trusted host in the regular settings.php file. Well, as it turns out, that didn't work at all.
One of our favorite dishes lately has been this fantastic hasselback chicken from Ruled.me. I've made it a bunch of times, but only have done it with a package of chicken breasts. And then last week, our family and friends were finally all able to get together to celebrate Passover and I decided to try my hand at this in bulk! It worked better than expected!
One of the original goals of this website was to help me train on Drupal 8 and I promise I will get there! I'm just involved with a Drupal 7 site build at the moment (which is going very well) and so I'm putting off my Drupal 8 training for a little bit. But I'll get back there! One thing to note about this recent build is I've incorporated two new technologies that I've not used in production before - CSS Grid and CSS Variables. I also started with the Tao theme so I could start with as base a level as possible.
For those who have asked us for more information about the keto way of eating, we've typically copied and pasted an email that seems to have grown over time to include all sorts of amazing resources. So, I've now created a new page on this site that includes those resources and we'll update this page over time as we gather more information. As this website grows, my hope is to start a recipe section with our favorites. Check out the keto info page here!